About the church
Architect: Benjamin Ferrey
Listing: grade 2The church was built in 1852 – 53, with renovation in 1877 and addition of a Parish Room to the north side of the chancel in 1882. It is built in the Perpendicular style and has a tall west tower with corner pinnacles and chequered battlements. The building is a brick structure faced in Kentish Rag with Bath Stone dressings. The roofs are slated. Internally the nave is divided from the aisles by arcades with octagonal piers and clerestory windows above.
The church was badly damaged by fire in 1947, following which the church was divided. The nave up to the chancel arch was retained for worship and the chancel, less its north wall, rebuilt as a separate hall.
After a long period of neglect, the building became unusable for worship, except during the summer months. A successful fundraising programme has enabled repair work to take place on the building to restore it to full use for worship. A Neighbourhood Nirsery, offering affordable childcare for children aged 0-5, has been developed in the formerly derelict East End of the building.